1.10.2011

Beans to Greens

Vegetarian 2011 has been entertaining to say the least. I had a minor meltdown on Day 5 when I attempted to make the first family meal that had to accommodate our different eating habits, Chicken & Black-Bean Stuffed Burritos:


I replaced the chicken with portabella mushrooms in mine. I thought they were delicious; however, Jarrod & Cadence didn't like them - so now the ones filled with chicken are still sitting in our fridge. So sad.

Day 6: Made our first Mommy-is-eating-Vegetarian grocery shopping trip. We spent under $100 for two weeks! And that was with some extra fruits & veggies from the produce department. That night I made my Homemade Pizza for dinner. Mmmmmm yummy.

Day 7: Attempted my first green smoothie, Kale & Banana. Lets just say it wasn't as yummy as the pizza the night before. I'm thinking that my blender isn't powerful enough to handle chopping up greens. I may need a vita-mix by the end of the year!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I love reading how this whole season of life is developing! I'd like to try it but it's nice watching someone else try it first. :) Anyway, I have a magic bullet and it makes the smoothest of smooth anything - even CHICKEN for babyfood! The nice thing about it for smoothies is you can make individual sizes and then easily wash it up. It isn't as big as a blender and because it is so compact, everything gets blended very well. I use it almost everyday and HIGHLY recommend it!

Brian and Beth Woods said...

That's brave of you to try a smoothie with Kale...we've never even tried that one back when we were vegan for 5 years! Yup...a Vita Mix might just have to 'appear' on your doorstep before we leave this country :) We're looking up recipe's to e-mail for you to try in the meantime :) The black bean burgers were delicious! Stay strong! You can do it! Don't worry you're taste buds will eventually change once you get past cravings/temptations and you're really going to enjoy branching out in new directions for food.