1.02.2009

2009: A Year of Focus

With a new year comes a time for reflection. While I was currently reflecting I learned the following about myself: When I have a choice between the hard way & the easy way - I choose the easy way. This new found character trait isn't true in all areas of my life; however, it blazes like the sun when it comes to tasks that involve learning.

I know what you are thinking, "Jessie you did well in school. What are you talking about?" Exactly my point! This is why it took me five years to discover this character trait. I did well in school, because I had direction. I always had a teacher to teach me. I never have to dig deeply to find the answer to a problem. Since I've been out of school the list of random projects that involve learning continue to grow, because once I get to a point that I have to dig for answers - I put down the shovel.

As I was dissecting this character trait I created a list of projects that fell into this category (see below). And then I thought, "Why not try to dig deeper in 2009? A New Year's resolution of sorts." I've always been a sucker for resolutions. I had to hold back thinking I could accomplish the entire list this year. And yes, the thought did cross my mind. It did take me five years to start all these projects, so instead I've decided that 2009 will be a year of focus.
1. To focus on being a new parent
2. To focus on one item on the below list at a time.
While enjoying lunch at McAlister's with Jarrod, I was able to prioritize my list.

Drum roll please... the scary projects...
1. Set up time machine on my mac
2. Fully understand the manual settings on my camera (f/stops, shutter speeds, etc)
Even though I've been taught this numerous times it has never stuck.
3. Create HTML emails for Jessie Marie Studio
4. Redesign jessiemariestudio.com
5. Publish a book.
6. Publish a typeface.

3 comments:

Marty McKee said...

You have a time machine?!! Can we use it to go to the future, buy a sports almanac, come back, and bet on games?

Kari said...

Holy cripes, woman! You're about to have a baby. I'll save you the gory details on that one... Now's the time to relax and enjoy this precious time you'll never get back instead of focusing on all the things you haven't done or should be doing. :) Now don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying. Good for you setting some goals. Just promise you'll focus on being a parent (like I know you will) more than all that other crazy stuff. FYI though, it makes me feel A LOT better knowing even Jessie, the camera nerd doesn't completely understand the manual settings on her camera. I'll come along for the ride on that one if you're interested in sharing. Really though, your post was inspiring and I promise I didn't take it as seriously as I'm sounding. Right. Well. Happy new year. Focus away. End rant.

Kari said...

Oh yea, and the first comment would have been much funnier if it was from Marty McFly. Hee hee.